Wednesday 18 April 2012

Review: The Death Cure

Title: The Death Cure (The Maze Runner #3)
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Books For Young Readers
Publication Date: October 11th, 2011
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Science Fiction

This review contains spoilers concerning The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials.

In this final instalment of The Maze Runner series, the stakes are higher than ever for Thomas and the other Gladers. After the third trial is over, WICKED promises Thomas and the other Gladers that the time for lies is over and their old memories will finally be returned to them. After being put through so much by the Creators, Thomas isn’t sure if he can trust them again. WICKED is ready to create the cure for the flare, and they have all the variables they need to select the final candidate that will help them create a cure. When Thomas, Newt and Minho escape and find themselves outside of WICKED’s control for the first time they can remember, they get to see what the world has become. In a world void of hope, all those who are free of the disease live in constant fear or it, while the infected slowly lose their minds. As Thomas comes to understand the affects of the flare more fully, he wonders if WICKED’s actions could be justified. Can the lives of some be sacrificed for the greater good? And if it comes down to it, would Thomas be able to die for the sake of humanity?

This is the final book in The Maze Runner series, although I think a prequel is on its way. I loved The Maze Runner but didn’t enjoy The Scorch Trials that much. My feelings for The Death Cure fall somewhere in the middle. While I had to make myself keep reading at times during book two, this book was difficult to put down. There was lots of suspense, some new information and a great deal of excitement. While others were frustrated that we still don’t get to see Thomas’ past, I think that was partly due to the fact that the prequel is on its way. A lot of people were unhappy with this book, but I think I enjoyed it because I had lower expectations after being disappointed by The Scorch Trials. Dashner is a great storyteller, and that’s what I liked about these books. The plot is compelling, but the writing is fairly straightforward. I don’t think Dashner writes romance or female characters very well, and I still don’t find Thomas to be a compelling character. I loved Minho and Newt just as much as ever, and they almost made up for the flatness of Brenda. I never felt like Teresa, who is supposed to be a major character, was all that developed either. Dashner definitely writes male characters best, and we even get to see one of the Gladers return in this book. It felt like this book touched on heavier themes than the previous books in the series, such as the nature of good and evil and whether a small group can be sacrificed to save the masses. I enjoyed The Death Cure, but I could see why it wasn’t as satisfying an ending as some people needed. I am counting on the prequel to provide more answers, and it certainly looks promising. Packed with excitement and fast paced action, this final instalment of the Thomas’ adventures will keep you reading to the last page.

3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. The Death Cure is the best of the three main Maze Runner books. In some places the writing is not very good, but the twists, turns, and surprises totally make up for it. I was left wanting to know more, but the ending was still satisfactory. This book really made reading the whole trilogy worth it.

    Zia
    I found the best San Antonio Property Damage Lawyers

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...